To use a desktop computer, users need a monitor. The monitor allows you to see the operating system GUI and software applications, like playing a game or typing a document.
Snoqualmie Valley Shelter Services is made up of community members who have a passion for helping men, women and families experiencing homelessness and poverty connect with the care and services they need. Discover the wide range of computers from Samsung. From all-in-ones and desktop to laptops and tablets, there is a solution for all your computer needs.Note
If you're connecting a monitor to a laptop computer, see: How to connect an external display to my laptop.
There are two types of flat-panel displays available: LCD, and LED. These monitors are very similar and use a VGA, DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort, or USB-C connector to connect to the computer. VGA and DVI are older connections, whereas HDMI, DisplayPort, and especially USB-C are newer.
How to connect a monitor
- Find the monitor's connector cable. It should be included with your purchase.
- Match the cable with one of the video ports on the back of the monitor. The images below show each of the video ports used today (with the general exception of S-Video).
- Plug the cable into the corresponding ports on both your monitor and computer.
The VGA and DVI cables have two screws, one on either side of the connector. Make sure the cable screws line up and then alternate turning each screw until they are secure.Tip
If your monitor does not have the same connector as your computer, or you'd prefer a different interface, you have a few options:
- You can buy a different cable that is compatible with your computer and monitor.
- You can purchase a video converter that which changes one connector type into another.
- Purchase a new video card or computer with the latest connectors.
- Purchase a monitor that has the connectors you need.
- If not already done, plug the flat end of the monitor power cord (left cable end shown below) into the back of the monitor. The power cord may also be built into the back of the monitor.
- Plug the other end of the monitor power cord (shown on the right in the above picture) into a power outlet.
- Turn on the computer and turn on the monitor. The power button for the button is often found on the front or bottom of the monitor on the right side.
If your monitor has different connectors, you may need to switch the input type you're using with the buttons next to the power button.Note
If you run into trouble getting the monitor to work, see No display or black screen on a computer monitor.
Desktop Driver Check
Hp Desktop Drivers
- See the Display port, DVI, HDMI, monitor, VGA pages for further information.